It may not get any easier and tastier than this dish. A good “go to” all year round, but great during the summer.
Grilled Chicken Thighs with Cilantro-Lime Rice
Serves 4 | Prep Time 10 minutes | Total Time 40 minutes
- 1 pound chicken thighs, patted dry
- 6 cloves garlic, minced; 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 teaspoons onion powder; 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 cup long-grain white rice; 1 1/2 cups water
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro leaves, finely chopped
- 1 small jalapeno, minced
- Juice and zest of 1/2 lime
- 2 cups prepared chakalaka
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro leaves; 1 lime, quartered
- Heat the oil in a medium saucepan set over medium heat. Stir in onion powder, salt, and rice then add the water. Increase heat to high and bring to a simmer, then reduce the heat to low and cover with a lid; cook for 18-20 minutes. When the rice is finished cooking, remove the pan from the heat and let the rice rest for 20-30 minutes. When the rice is finished resting, stir in the cilantro leaves, jalapeno, and lime juice and zest (this will happen just before serving).
- While the rice is resting, preheat grill to 400 ̊F. Toss chicken thighs with oil, garlic, and salt. Once the grill is preheated, cook for 5-6 minutes per side, just until the thighs start to get a good char on them (and the internal temperature reaches 165 ̊F).
- Divide rice between bowls and top with chakalaka, grilled chicken thighs, and cilantro. Serve with a wedge of lime.